(urth) Urth - Earth links

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 14 09:50:35 PDT 2011

>Marc Aramini:  A really really quick point I wanted to make.  The idea that everything in
>Severian's manuscript happened before our present time always felt like a
>slight retconning in that Jordan interview to avoid offending a protestant
>but spiritually inclined interviewer.

I absolutely agree that this is an important aspect of interpreting the James Jordan interview.
Wolfe seems to tread more carefully and politely with him than almost any other interviewer I've
seen

James is a pretty sensitive guy when it comes to religion. In a discussion with him in here a number
of years back he got rather upset with the idea that the Nephilim mentioned in Genesis, and in Dr. Talos'
play, might be the product of the mating of fallen angels and humans (though in the play the demon
Jahi seems to be trying to accomplish just that).

I think in his effort to be polite and considerate of James, Wolfe forgets to be as guarded as
he usually is and lets quite a few things slip, making this perhaps the most revealing Wolfe
interview ever. (Wolfe is also quite respectful to his peer, Larry McCafferey, which is the interview
where he spills the beans about 5HoC, Dr. Marsch and VRT).

I'm not sure if the politeness to JJ extends so far as to lead to an amendment of his universal
philosophies but I agree with Marc that the possibility should at least be considered.