(urth) Urth - Earth links

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Fri Oct 14 09:27:13 PDT 2011

From: Jerry Friedman
>From: Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com

> If all the passages from the Chrasmological Writings really are quotations,
> that would corroborate this idea, as it would be remarkable for the
> chrasmologists to have limited themselves to sources written before the
>  late 20th century.
We have only seen a small portion of the Writings.

> > Whatever
> > about ‘cycles’, Wolfe’s Urth is much the same as our Earth, and it’s prehistory
> > at least (the era of the Dawn Men, extending up to the colonisation of the inner
> > Solar System) appears to be nearly identical.

> Presumably except for Jesus.

Jesus existed in the universe of Urth – Silk has a vision of him entering Jerusalem on Palm Sunday.

> > Not just the Chrasmological
> > Writings but various objects and events in BotNS testify to this.

> But how far would Wolfe go in familiarizing things from Urth's past?  Could he
> have changed the names of their saints to the names of ours?  Could he have
>  changed Severian's description of the "Apollo" painting so we would recognize it?

Who knows?  He may even have selected or substituted the particular Chrasmological Writings recorded by Horn, so that prehistoric readers will correctly interpret their nature and origin.

- Gerry Quinn