(urth) Typhon's nature

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Oct 13 07:44:29 PDT 2011

On 10/13/2011 12:31 AM, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>>> David Stockhoff: I agree that various technologies are deliberately blurred, as is
>>> (famously) the line between technology and magic.
> An interesting exercise for some might be to consider all the mind control and telepathy in the Sun books.  There's a lot, from the revolutionary, shown as purely technological, to Decuman's spell, which Severian speculates on in pure black-magic terms, with all kinds of others, often not explained at all.  They could then decides which examples throw light on which others.

There is quite a bit, yes. But almost none of the technology is
described in a direct, straightforward manner, especially in TBotNS.
Even bits such as Typhon's explanation of antigravity are obfuscating.
All the bits contradict one another or could be said to present
alternative understandings of reality: mechanical machines, thinking
machines, spells, brain tissue, higher species. The nature of reality
defies simple analysis. The characters inhabit a world that is "dirty"
and granular and so saturated with SF tropes that they don't even think
about explaining these mechanisms nor expect them to cohere, even
perhaps when they make use of them.

In this context, why (and how) argue that Typhon definitely or even
primarily LACKS psionic powers? The onus would seem to be on such a
theory to explain itself.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 111013-1, 10/13/2011
Tested on: 10/13/2011 10:44:29 AM