(urth) Silk's Origin

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 12 13:40:05 PDT 2011

>James Wynn: When you see that Wolfe is overlaying the Neighbors with Fairie
>mythology--and since dream-travel is Time-travel, perhaps they are
>supposed to be the origins of the myth--the idea of the Neighbors as
>dryads makes perfect sense. "Neighbor" = "Grey Neighbors" = Fair Folk = Fairie.
>Wolfe is aware of this because he refers to it in "An Evil Guest".

I think this is right. I think David Stockhoff came to a similar conclusion a year
or two ago...

Or perhaps that was a discussion of the Shadow Children from 5HoC. Doesn't matter.
Same author created them both.  And as has been previously discussed, the Shadow Children
and Inhumi+Neighbors bear a lot of similarity. Shadow Children originating as dark things
curling around the roots of plants sounds rather like parasitic vines. Then there is the
indeterminate numeric count of Shadow Children and Neighbors and the similarity of their
dream travel. "Faerie" seems like a pretty good unifying concept.