(urth) Silk's origin

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Oct 12 12:56:48 PDT 2011

On 10/12/2011 3:48 PM, James Wynn wrote:
>> On 10/12/2011 10:32 AM, David Stockhoff wrote:
>>
>> Let's put this to James. James, does an engineered-genes-insertion
>> link between Typhon and Silk work for your theory? After all, with
>> some wiggle room it makes them brothers, or closer than brothers. And
>> yet they will be as different as Silk and Mucor.
>
> Well, not really.
>
> There's no exposition in the book that ties the genes for leadership
> to height or blonde hair.
That's not something I suggested. I was referring to your puzzle of
"brothers" and "sisters."

> Additionally, the references tying Silk to Typhon strike me as very
> personal. Including Horn's speech in OBW about how if Pas is a god on
> the Whorl then he can come and be a god on Blue. I think that is an
> autorial reference to Silk. The best dodge I can come up with is that
> Silk was carrying a piece of Pas in his head since before Tussah's
> assassination.
If Silk is carrying genes from Typhon and Typhon is Pas, does that help?
> But even that is too many degrees of separation for me. For example,
> why could only Silk be used as a donor to repatch Pas after his
> resurrection, and why did it require going all the way to the
> Mainframe? If it is only that he was carrying part of the god in his
> head, then he only needed to stand in front of a Sacred Window. And I
> still want him to be a son of Typhon somehow to have a hope of
> explaining the two parents Silk meets on the Aureate Path.
That's what I mean. In what sense must Silk be a son of Typhon---given
the "son not son" pattern of the Romans you have pointed to: legal? No.
Filial? No. Why not genetic?
> It's clear that Wolfe has all this carefully worked out. I just can't
> figure out how he got there.
>
> J.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 111012-1, 10/12/2011
Tested on: 10/12/2011 3:56:49 PM