(urth) Typhon's nature

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 12 08:33:05 PDT 2011

>David Stockhoff: I agree that various technologies are deliberately blurred, as is
>(famously) the line between technology and magic. This seems to be both
>a stylistic approach and a philosophy.

Yes. I think this cuts to the crux of the debate. For some readers, Wolfe's work seems
to be a collection of rippingly good yarns. Any perception of an overarching philosophy
and use of sub-text to convey it is seen as a distraction and diminishing of the story.
These different approaches create a difficult platform for discussion between parties.

I tend to agree with your assertion that a story which contains spaceships, ray guns, robots,
aliens, anti-gravity, cloning and time travel simply has to have telepathy. How could
it be left out? ;- )