(urth) Typhon's nature

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Wed Oct 12 07:01:08 PDT 2011

From: larry miller

> Dug out my long sun books last night to reread and found the quote.
> Echidna has just possessed Maytera Marble and killed Blood.  She says
> Citadel.........".  Wolfe always capitalizes the citadel to seperate
> it from other strongholds so this Prime Calcula must be on Urth.
It’s not capitalised in my edition (Epiphany of the Long Sun, combining Calde and Exodus, First Orb edition, November 2000).  Here it says: “The prime calcula... His citadel.”  Only Pas gets a capital, and – as I noted in my previous post – that is likely because it is a new sentence (or sentence fragment), rather than any lingering respect for Pas on Echidna’s part.
Even capitalised, I don’t see how it could make sense for it to be on Urth, presumably many light-years away at the least (there are certain inconsistencies in the physics relating to the journey, but I interpret them as either errors or things forced on Wolfe to accomodate his use of traditional SF tropes).
- Gerry Quinn