(urth) Typhon's nature

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Wed Oct 12 06:03:15 PDT 2011

From: Lee Berman

> I don't think so. Again, I will invoke Typhon's namesake, the Mandragora. For me
> the connection between these characters is nearly undeniable and I find the
> prospect of Severian being delusional about both their mental powers to be a very
> bleak one in regard to the enjoyment of the story.

I don’t see any connection between a long-dead emperor and the pretty standard homunculus in a jar that Severian finds in the Autarch’s quarters, along with many other objects of a similar nature.

> > David Stockhoff: Does anyone have any opinion on whether or how Abaia and Erebus rule
> > without resorting to ESP powers?

> I have a nagging feeling the text does make some mention of Abaia controlling humanity
> purely through the power of his thought, but I can't pin the passage down.

Wasn’t there something about the Wall being built to defend against the human forces of the sea monsters?  I have a vague impression of something of the kind too.

But if we look at the Ascians, the coin, Typhon etc., what I think we see is a deliberate blurring of the boundaries between powers of charisma, force of personality etc., and powers which we would consider telepathic.  Mucor’s telepathic abilities, apparently the result of brain modification, suggest to me that in Wolfe’s world some elements of telepathy exist in everyone, but are stronger in some, and probably trainable (c.f. Decuman and the village of sorcerers).  Typhon probably does have some telepathic powers which enhance his already great powers of charisma etc.  It is a not uncommon trope in sf/fantasy.

Severian (and other narrators) are not delusional about the existence of such powers, but the powers are not of any special significance to the story.

- Gerry Quinn