(urth) Typhon's nature

Jeff Wilson jwilson at clueland.com
Tue Oct 11 19:05:57 PDT 2011

On 10/11/2011 5:45 PM, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>> From: António Pedro Marques<entonio at gmail.com>
>> Jeff Wilson wrote (11-10-2011 08:30):
>> what is that

>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/yoshihirata/
>>>
>>> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071015215148.htm
>
> The fish is illuminated by an infrared source

Like the sun illuminates this river delta? Imagine if you saw a moving,
compact shape on this scale.

http://www.visualphotos.com/image/1x6053922/pearl_river_estuary_infrared_satellite_image

> http://www.plosbiology.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pbio.0050277
>
> and I'll bet the beautiful creatures on Flickr are too.  In some of the pictures it seems the source (the sun) is visible.  So maybe if Erebus swam or oozed over a volcanic vent...
>
> Of course this has nothing to do with Wolfe, and I don't mind if it turns out I'm wrong.

It's still relevant in that the cooling sun will increasingly shift its
peak output into the infrared frequencies, so Typhon would have reason
to have set up IR monitoring.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at clueland.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >