(urth) Typhon's nature

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Tue Oct 11 08:04:00 PDT 2011

On 10/11/2011 8:19 AM, Jeff Wilson wrote:
> On 10/11/2011 6:51 AM, David Stockhoff wrote:
>> On 10/10/2011 11:12 PM, Jeff Wilson wrote:
>>>
>>> It's not so much to guess; Mt Typhon itself is such an outpost and
>>> Typhon is master of its numerous machines by word. Since he allows
>>> Severian to transcend distance and "see" distant parts of the Urth as
>>> if present above them, it's not such a stretch to think that he can do
>>> that for himself and more besides when he's not busy putting on a show
>>> to secure his hold on the unsuspecting Conciliator.
>> OK, but how does it explain talking to the monsters in the abyss, who
>> were not there before he slept, as he stated he did? Why make this
>> complicated?
>
> I'm not sure how it is especially complicated by the overall standards
> of the BotNS, which incorporates several times its wordcount of tropes
> by reference and allusion.
>

> As for talking to the monsters in the abyss, who is doing that and
> when/what chapter?

Typhon: "Yes. But I have lived almost a day and have sent my thought
into far places. There are powers in the seas now who would rule. They
will become our slaves, and the hordes of the north are theirs."

(1) Typhon has learned this information since he awoke (2) by sending
his thought into far places. There is no evidence for anything else.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 111011-0, 10/11/2011
Tested on: 10/11/2011 11:04:00 AM