(urth) Silk's origin

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Tue Oct 11 07:30:07 PDT 2011

From: David Stockhoff

> Which leads me to another angle. Is there a classic SF model from which
> we could derive rules of cloning "behavior"? For example, Asimov's Mule
> is a genetic mutation giving rise to super-telepathic powers; therefore
> he is a precursor to Typhon that we can "observe" in action. Has some
> author already worked out this cloning business?
Gene Wolfe, maybe, in Fifth Head of Cerberus?
In 5HoC, clones are essentially identical, irrespective of the surrogate mother.  In fact, cloning is banned on civilised planets because of this “anti-evolutionary” characteristic.
In BotLS, of course, embryos are (or have been) routinely engineered, and presumably this could be done just as well with clones.
- Gerry Quinn