(urth) Silk's origin

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Oct 10 17:55:31 PDT 2011

On 10/10/2011 6:37 PM, James Wynn wrote:
> On 10/10/2011 2:06 PM,
>> Gerry Quinn wrote:
>>
>>> 2. We know Silk was an implanted embryo, so it is no surprise that
>>> he has
>>> two sets of parents; his genetic parents back on Urth a thousand
>>> years ago,
>>> and his surrogate parents in the Whorl.
>>   Andrew Mason wrote:
>> I think the two sets of parents actually count against the clone
>> theory; a clone does not have genetic parents in the ordinary sense.
>
>> One might call the parents of his source his parents in a way; (this
>> seems to be the line taken in _The Fifth Head of Cerberus_, where
>> Number Five is shown a picture of his 'mother', i.e. the mother of the
>> source of his line, back on Earth). But if Typhon was 'not born' it's
>> not clear he has parents, and if he does it's hard to see how they are
>> relevant to the story.
>
> That's true, although I think he *does* think of himself as having a
> mother at least in the way that Number Five thinks of his "mother".
> But maybe in the way that Silk thinks of himself as having a "mother".
> (I'm referring to "Early Summer", of course)
>
> And it is troublesome in what sense Tussah considered himself Silk's
> "father". If they ever met, Silk didn't remember it--only having seen
> a bust of him in a closet. Tussah never married Silk's mother, and he
> never officially adopted Silk. Silk did not have to be Tussah's son in
> order to inherit the Caldeship. And to the extent that Silk's
> connection to Tussah could ever be proven, it would only discredit his
> claim to the title since Tussah explicitly said that his "son" would
> be Calde after him. All this suggests that Tussah said that Silk was
> "not the son of my body" merely because it was objectively true in
> some sense. Not to identify him or out of fatherly feelings.
>
>> Moreover, we are told in a couple of places that the embryos are the
>> result of selective breeding, rather than clones.
>
> I missed that. What are you referring to?
>
>> Regarding who his parents are: Wolfe was once asked about Silk's
>> ancestry, and replied 'He is the son of the Calde and his mistress'.
>> This answer, which seems to relate to his birth-mother and adoptive
>> father, looks like a deliberate deflection of the question, not
>> telling us what the questioner wanted to know. This in turn suggests
>> that:
>> a. It is a significant question, which has an answer - his parents
>> aren't just Some Guy and Some Girl.
>> b. It's not meant to be obvious from the story, since when something
>> is meant to be obvious and readers don't get it, Wolfe is generally
>> happy to explain (e.g. who is Blood's father, or why did Auk kidnap
>> Hyacinth).
>
> I agree with this. I have long suspected that the parallel between
> Tussah and Silk's birth-mother and Typhon and Kypris is intended. The
> culture of Viron is the culture of the commonwealth under Typhon. It
> [...]
Perhaps it's not so important. An identical genotype may give rise to
disparate phenotypes after all. Things can happen during development as
well as after birth that result in changes in appearance. Are they not
both blonde?

(And this would be even more true if we are not talking about cloning
but instead a narrow genotype from intensive enhanced breeding. Would
your riddles work out OK if Silk was Typhon's "brother"?

---
Virus Database (VPS): 111010-2, 10/10/2011
Tested on: 10/10/2011 8:55:32 PM