(urth) Typhon's nature

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Oct 10 10:59:21 PDT 2011

On 10/10/2011 1:29 PM, Jeff Wilson wrote:
> On 10/10/2011 7:43 AM, David Stockhoff wrote:
>> On 10/10/2011 3:30 AM, Jeff Wilson wrote:
>>> His thoughts being sent into far places could easily have been
>>> him spying through the remaining technological outposts similar to the
>>> speaking machines in the Matchin Tower and Valeria's reception hall.
>>> He may have had telepresences there to keep his ruling face au courant.
>>
>> Except that this would require "outposts" at the south pole and under
>> the sea.
>
> I don;t know about require; sensors can have ranges and their data may
> be used to infer details beyond those. An ancient but still functional
> satllite in orbit above the south pole and the sea could be accessible
> to Typhon "Hmm, weather patterns continue to deteriorate... Great Me,
> what is that THING on the infrared?"
>
> The talking machines could intercept intelligence from the Asciians'
> transmissions and preserve it for their master's review. Jonas, for
> example, is a machine that knows about the great beasts without being
> currently at the south pole or under the sea. He probably lost his
> antennas for far communication, though.
It's possible. It's just a lot to expect the reader to guess. And
Typhon, by his own account, is not one to speak indirectly. For myself,
I tend to want to interpret him as neither god nor demigod but as an
example of pure hubris. He's like a tower built to reach Heaven. That
requires him to have been constructed by humans. Genetics (assuming we
allow a gene for telepathy, as we must if we allow telepathy, which we
must because Mucor exists) explains Silk, Mucor, and Typhon.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 111010-1, 10/10/2011
Tested on: 10/10/2011 1:59:21 PM