(urth) Pike's ghost

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Nov 30 06:35:22 PST 2011

On 11/30/2011 1:25 AM, Lee Berman wrote:

>> Gerry has a point, however, in saying that Typhon did not have two penises.
>

> The only point made by this observation is that this is meant as a work of art
>
> not a photographic portrait.

No doubt about that.
> The two penises are clearly a reference to Typhon's
>
> two heads (I think it might be auctorial error on WOlfe's part to give Pas two
>
> heads, as we all know Typhon's two heads were a deeply kept secret). It may also
>
> reflect the Typhon family's snake-like nature. Many snakes have two penises and
>
> my impression from his work is that Wolfe's zoological knowledge is sufficient
>
> for him to know this.

Interesting!

> Moreover, there are giant phallic images surrounding Typhon in the painting.
>
> Campion renders them as trees (Trees as phallic symbols, is this of interest to
>
> James and Marc? ;- )). So yes, this is a work of art.
>

> A work of art depicting Typhon on Urth. The connections to what we learn from
>
> Severian are pretty hard to ignore. Should we really think that WOlfe used the
>
> term "nursing an erection" twice in reference to the same (or a derived) character
>
> by accident or happenstance, as Gerry is suggesting? Is Wolfe really so oblivious
>
> to his own previous writing?

No one has suggested that Wolfe is oblivious, though perhaps you could
read it from Gerry's post. But just because the painting seems to mix a
parody of Pas with a truer depiction of Typhon does not tell us its
provenance with any certainty. "Connections" are not always
hard-wired---I have suggested irony as an explanation, because Wolfe
uses irony and is always interested in our interpretations of the divine.

If a pornographer paints a truer picture of God than an official
iconographer, so be it.
> The whorl during Silk's life does not have monarchs sitting on thrones.
>
> The rulers of the Whorl are Caldes or Ayuntamientos or Generals who surely
>
> would not be caught publicly masturbating as Severian tells us Typhon is willing
>
> to do.
>

> Pas is a computer program who, whenever he appeared, did so in a screen. I don't
>
> think he was sitting in a throne, masturbating in his screen appearances. The
>
> painting is clearly not inspired by anything occurring on the Whorl. Through the
>
> Severian connection and Typhon's depicted status as a throne-sitting monarch, the
>
> painting clearly depicts a scene from Urth.
>

> So, Gerry made a mistake here. No big deal. He is right about many things and has
>
> no need to feel ashamed about this particular misreading. I don't even begrudge him
>
> a bit of pride-salvaging if he would like to continue ignoring the reference to
>
> Severian's Typhon encounter and instead argue that WOlfe put the painting into
>
> his story to simply to add a splash of color and some gratuitous porn in a brothel.
>
> Perhaps that really is how Gerry sees Wolfe as a author.
>

> But that's not really my business. I have no interest in "saving" people from wasting
>
> their time with Gerry. He is surely a good guy at heart and I really don't want people
>
> to ignore him. I no more want to "censor" him than he intends to censor the people who
>
> post theories he doesn't like. Gerry and I are both highly appreciative of all the
>
> contributions and contributors to this list. Thank you. Thank you all. From both of us.

You certainly don;t need to argue with Gerry through me. All I said was
that Gerry had a point. Pas's two penises clearly derive from some
misunderstanding of Typhon based on an understanding of Pas. Typhon was
a parody of Pas who preceded Pas, because Pas was a *version* of Typhon.