(urth) Mucor and Oreb in the manse

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 04:31:51 PST 2011

Gerry Quinn wrote (30-11-2011 12:15):
> *From:* Gerry Quinn <mailto:gerry at bindweed.com>
>> Oreb might have had no idea how to make sense of events, let alone how
>> to explain it in two-syllable statements. As for Mucor, if she once
>> possessed Oreb and brought him to Silk’s bedroom once [and Roy’s
>> argument that she did is convincing], she may have done it again. *Why*
>> she did it I don’t know, but she seems to have a wide range of
>> capabilities, and a willingness to employ any or all of them in any
>> given
>
> situation. By the way, I accept that none of the explanations proposed
> for Silk seeing, or thinking he sees, Oreb are very good. I just don’t
> think the situation warrants the postulation of a time travelling Oreb.

I'd put it otherwise. It's not that time travel is unwarranted, it's that
'dream travel invovles time travel' and 'Pike's ghost is the Rajan' is not
necessarily more convincing than the alternatives. (Does anyone fancy time
travel *not in relation to* dream travel?)

But there is a problem here to solve. Not with Pike's ghost, but with the
second Oreb. Of course Roy's interpretation works, but personally it
convinces me no more than James's, though for a different reason. Namely,
that if Roy's is the right explanation, then the whole episode is padding.

If only we wouldn't get distracted by all the blue herrings!