(urth) Pike's ghost

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Tue Nov 29 10:49:50 PST 2011

From: David Stockhoff
> On 11/29/2011 1:04 PM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
> > *From:* David Stockhoff <mailto:dstockhoff at verizon.net>

> > > Thanks for reminding me why I decided to stop talking to you.
> > Your response puzzles me. Perhaps the “drum roll” interjection is
> > intended to represent some sort of victory screech, but I cannot see
> > in what argument you are victorious or even guess in what argument you
> > think you are.

> And I cannot guess where you get the idea that I think I'm victorious,
> or why you think "victory" is the central point.

So what was the point you were making, then?  Do you disagree with my reasoning regarding the role of Silk in Pas/Silk?

> Much of the difficulty in talking to you is on full display here. You
> come up with half-processed semi-random stuff out of nowhere and relate
> it to nothing, with no stated assumptions and no attempt at conclusions.
> You don't bother to follow a logical flow of /if/ and /then/. You don't
> define your terms. And then you get personal.

This is so weird.  An aspect of the storyline was mentioned (the relationship of Silk to Pas/Silk) and I said what I think about it.  You asked me why and I told you the reasons.  I didn’t think too hard about them, but they hardly qualify as “half-processed semi-random stuff” – they are pretty specific points that support the conclusion that Silk in Pas/Silk is not a new Piaton.  Or do you disagree?

I don’t think I produce semi-random stuff, either half-processed or over-processed.

> Your answers are worse than meaningless because it takes a week to
> extract from you what you meant in the first place, if you meant
> anything.

I answered within minutes, and the thing we are discussing is pretty specific, even if we don’t learn too much in the text.  (I have still to re-read RttW, in which the Pas/silk relationship is probably best defined, and perhaps I will have more detailed thoughts on the subject then.)  But, as I said, the reasons I gave seem to imply that Silk-in-Pas does not become Piaton.

> It is wearying. You never just answer a question about your
> own thoughts with a straight answer. Are you trying to be the Wizard of
> Oz or the little man behind the curtain?

You think I have *secret* reasons for believing what I do about Silk-in-Pas?  I don’t.  Those things I mentioned are the things that seem relevant to me at this time.  I’m willing to be convinced otherwise, if someone brings up more evidence.  I had completely forgotten one of the heads of the reconstituted Pas was gasping, which could indicate a Pas closer to his origins than I had thought.  But that alone is not enough for me to change my mind on the subject.

- Gerry Quinn