(urth) Pike's ghost

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Tue Nov 29 07:27:42 PST 2011

On 11/29/2011 10:18 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
> *From:* David Stockhoff <mailto:dstockhoff at verizon.net>
> > Any ideas on whether Silk's head (when shown to Silk as Pas by Khypris)
> >
> replaced Piaton's or Typhon's head? is Silk ridden or rider?
> I don’t think it matters – Two-Headed Pas as icon has two equal heads.
> The Typhon-Piaton origin is no longer relevant, and would be
> meaningless to Silk, for whom the image is created. Like the Sign of
> Addition, it is interpreted differently in Silk’s time.

Whether it has meaning to Silk or not is probably irrelevant because he
has seen little more of Pas than anyone else his age, but I agree that
even for readers of BNS looking for clues in BLS, the precise historical
relationship between the heads may be set aside in the absence of any
indications of which head Silk replaced. Pas is after all no longer a
rider of a single human body.

But that still leaves us to interpret the vision. *If* one head is more
Pas than the other (and it may be that neither head is in Pas'
iconography), the choice of heads may indicate whether Silk is to be
senior or junior head, with whatever implications may follow. As you
suggest, Wolfe's vagueness on this point may simply mean it is null.