(urth) Secrets and Domes

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Tue Nov 29 05:26:32 PST 2011

From: Brian Lovely

> Could the secret of the Inhumi be that they are a hybrid branch of humanity,
> and the colonists from the Whorl are the pure strain hybridizing through blood
> to make a more vigorous strain?

Marc has ideas along somewhat similar lines, I think.  But really, I don’t see any strong reason to believe that the creatures of Green and Blue are anything other than alien species that evolved there.  [Of course, one wouldn’t expect truly alien planets to have compatible ecosystems, but that’s something SF writers get a free pass on, same as FTL.  Planets are like tropical islands during the great age of European sea exploration.]

> Also, does anyone else see the ruined ring of glass that lets light through in
> one direction but blocks it in the other as a ruined greenhouse dome?
That’s one reading of it, though I didn’t see anything about it blocking light in any direction.  It seems to amplify light: a possibility that occurred to me is that it transmits light from adjacent dimensions.  Against that is that when Horn first saw the motion of the bush where the greenbuck was, he thought the glass might have helped him.  But he later saw motion in another bush without it, and after that saw the greenbuck.
Glass that amplifies light might be used in a greenhouse, or a solar power station, or an observatory, or for other purposes.
- Gerry Quinn