(urth) Pike's ghost

Sergei SOLOVIEV soloviev at irit.fr
Sun Nov 27 04:40:16 PST 2011

Well, if Typhon would be an alien, it would be much more difficult to graft
his head to Piaton. And why take such risky and complex operation? I think
that the straightforward explanation is much more convincing.

Typhon is clever enough
to tell the truth when he thinks it will not undermine his power (he may be
mistaken, of course). He says to Severian (in the Sword of the Lictor) that
he needed a new body (quite
understandable for ageing dictator), and that the plan (suggested by his
medics) was that his head may be grafted and later, when his head will
take all functions - voluntary and involuntary - from Piaton, then the head
of Piaton can be removed. He didn't want the people on Urth to know that
he has two heads - this is why Severian (in the UotNS) was told not to speak
of what he has seen. The cargo of Whorl is conditioned to see Pas as god,
so there is no problem with two heads. It was different with the people of
the whole Urth - not possible to condition all, hence the risk of the
rebellion
if they know that the ruler is a monstrosity. And he wanted to keep his
face.

Sergei Soloviev