(urth) Like a good Neighbor

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 23 10:33:57 PST 2011

>> At the end of RttW, there is
>> a whole swarm of Inhumi flying around. Where did they come from?

>Dan'l Danehey-Oakes: Green?  I know that there is a theory floating about
>that their claim to fly between the worlds is a lie, but they _do_ tend to
>appear in great numbers during conjunction.

Wolfe is playing tricks on us here. If inhumi can survive being buried
underground for months or years, perhaps they can survive the void. But
if they are killed merely by the cold of snow, they can't. Since it is
is too cold for their eggs to hatch on Blue, I tend to believe that cold
does them in, and their space travel is a lie.

Moreover, in every conversation we hear, for every inhumu, Wolfe makes it
clear that they are reflexively, inherently liars. I don't and never have
thought they really fly through space.

More moreover, we are told there is a deep, hidden secret of the inhumi. That
their essence is of whatever they feed upon is simply too banal. Plus that
secret is given to us. It makes sense that there is another inhumi secret
that we must figure out for ourselves.

I think perhaps James and Marc have done this. If inhumi are increasing in
numbers on Blue without egg hatching or space travel, the secret may well
be that inhumi are, at their most basic essence, lianas. Gerry's notice of
a tree in Quetzal's garden only lends further support to this.