(urth) Like a good Neighbor

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 15:26:06 PST 2011

On 11/22/2011 11:43 AM, David Stockhoff wrote:
> But you must also agree that this flag has some fine print---that it
> subverts itself, it's waved so hard. By this I mean simply that not
> only has a death occurred---though under rules we do not yet
> know---but a supernatural event has occurred as well. Horn continues,
> _in some form_, and the story goes on. But note that the story has
> almost just begun---the reader will be jolted, and will be instructed
> too. "Do not trust deaths." Much is NOT told here beyond the death
> itself.

Over and over, the narrator reminds us of what a miserable failure his
mission was. Thus we know that Horn is not completely gone in the Rajan.
His spirit fled when he tumbled in the pit (I say) and his body was
ultimately destroyed on Green. But there is a sense in which he
persists, like the hyacinth Remora refers to at the end of RttW. We all
assumed Remora was referring to the Rajan's grief over the death of Hy
(and maybe the Silk in him was). It is still a strange scene with that
interpretation I think. But  _I_ think primarily it is the loss of Horn
who we are intended to grieve over. A man who set out on a mission and
failed at it --hardly before he had begun--by a fluke accident. But by
some miraculous method he persisted.

A lot of Wolfe heroes are pre-determined...over-determined...to succeed
against all who stand against them. Severian, Latro, Able. Eventually,
Horn becomes a character like that. But the original Horn (I say) was
not. He was a man with a good, brave heart who was as subject as anyone
to catastrophic misfortunes. It is a rather hopeful story seen that way.