(urth) Like a good Neighbor

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Mon Nov 21 15:15:21 PST 2011

From: David Stockhoff

> On 11/21/2011 4:01 PM, Gerry Quinn wrote:

> > Disproved?  How?  I am only on the next chamber, but I understand
> > Seawrack (if she started human) was taken as a small child and used to
> > lure seamen to their death.

> We apparently disagree, but Seawrack clearly knows corpses when she sees
> them.
She knows they don’t move if you stick a fork in them.  I don’t know how you deduce she knows much more than that.  She didn’t get close enough to Horn to try him out.
There’s no evidence that she has some special corpse-identification ability.

>> > Horn’s > subsequent development of extraordinary psychic powers. We
>> > already see > that he has changed when he is going with Krait to find
>> > Seawrack – he > sees the world with “a sharpness of detail born of a
>> > consciousness of > detail”. He’s changed – but nothing about the
>> > change is the sort of > thing we might particularly expect to
>> > associate with a Neighbour > psyche – affinity with trees,
>> > consciousness of other dimensions, feeling > he’s missing limbs,
>> > whatever.
>
>> > And your evidence for this expectation of "whatever" is where? Give
>> > page numbers.
>
> > You've been going on about Faerie.  Everyone agrees they like trees
> > (Mark thinks they ARE trees).  The Neighbours seem to live in an
> > adjacent dimension.  They have eight limbs.  Is your question serious?

> Where is the evidence that people who hang with fairies like trees, see
> other dimensions, and feel like limbs are missing? The page numbers
> don't need to be in BSS. I have read about Faerie from age 7 through
> graduate school and these are not familiar to me. Show me.

Who cares about fairies?  We’re talking about Neighbours, not fairies.  Maybe they have some things in common, but we only know those from our knowledge of the Neighbours anyway.  The trees, the other dimensions, the extra limbs – these are Neighbour associations.  You think Horn has acquired a Neighbour soul – you’d expect any changes in his psyche to fit with what we know of Neighbours.

And the changes don’t seem to fit fairies much anyway, if it matters.

>> > think > that "sharpness" is?
>
> > I think it awakened certain powers innate in humans.  He got his
> > initial jaunt as a consequence of some device pressed to his forehead.

> Trailblazing through Faerie is an "innate human power"? Gerry, I don;t
> think you and I use words the same way.

Wasn’t that much later, after further encounters with the Neighbours?  [And he was trailblazing through Blue, not Faerie.  There are no indications he ever went to Faerie.  That applies to the Neighbours’ dimension too, which may be analogous in some ways to Faerie but does not appear identical.]

- Gerry Quinn