(urth) Like a good Neighbor

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Mon Nov 21 15:00:51 PST 2011

From: James Wynn

> I think people who claim that Seawrack was wrong need to explain why
> Wolfe would have her make such a false diagnosis in the first place.
To explain why she abandoned Horn in the pit?
> After all, he could have just had Horn get separated from Seawrack and
> Babbie, to allow his encounter with Krait.
He’d have to be separated for days, to be in such a state that he betrayed his wife and children to the inhumu to save his life.

> Additionally, they need to explain why the text is justified at the end
> of Chapter 8, entitled "The End".

***************
Very suddenly I was falling into darkness.  [—]

But it cannot be. It cannot be a mere incident like Wijzer’s drawing his
map and the rest. Either that fall must be the end of the entire work
(which might be wisest) or else it cannot close at all.

So let me say this to whoever may read. With that fall, the best part of
my life was over. The pit was its grave.

Well, it is literally true, isn’t it?  The best part of his life *was* over.  Soon be betrayed Nettle and his sons.  He travelled with an inhumu.  He was abducted to a hell planet and died there.  There might have been something about finding his girlfriend was a mass murdering cannibal too, but I’m not sure of that part yet.

You’ve got to admit, his life after that moment was a bit of a bummer.

And why is he so coy about it, if he died in the pit anyway?  He’s been telling us all along about that *other* time he died.  What was different that time?

- Gerry Quinn