(urth) Like a good Neighbor

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 11:26:35 PST 2011

>>> António Pedro Marques wrote:
>>> I think the problem with Horn dying at this point is the consequence
>>
>> James Wynn wrote
>> I absolutely see that. But I think we need go where the text is taking
>> us. As I said, Horn dying and being resurrected is a mystery that we
>> should discuss. WHETHER he dies and resurrects is pretty
>> straightforward.
>> Nothing is more undermining of Wolfe criticism than taking one of his
>> stories and saying, "This is such-and-such kind of story." Wolfe is
>> about
>> subverting those expectations.
>
> António Pedro Marques wrote:
> Oh, I'm all for that discussion. The only thing I'm not for - here as
> in other other place - is positing some idea and then remain satisfied
> with the positing itself, not exploring the consequences.

I absolutely agree. But unpleasant thematic or narrative consequences is
not a reason to reject the obvious direction the story has taken. I miss
a lot of cues the first time when reading Wolfe. I didn't miss this one
though. It's just not subtle.

And I disagree that it harms the storm at all. It is classic Wolfean to
have a narrator is that is fundamentally different --in nature or
identity-- than the one superficially presented: 1) Dr. Marsch's diary,
2) dead Weer, 3) Latro (who cannot verify the veracity of anything in
his own diary), 4) Severian who has been multiple people throughout his
life, 5) the translator of the Book of the New Sun, 5) Able who cannot
remember the years he spent in Aelfrice, 6) the narrator of Seven
American Nights...
The Book of the Short Sun is the essential Wolfe novel.