(urth) Like a good Neighbor

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Mon Nov 21 10:42:44 PST 2011

From: David Stockhoff
> On 11/21/2011 1:13 PM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
> > *From:* James Wynn mailto:crushtv at gmail.com

> > > Look, Gerry, I'm willing to debate when he sees the Neighbor and why.
> > > But not without establishing that Horn has died. We simply are not
> > going
> > > to agree about the meaning of any portion of this scenario or most of
> > > the rest of the novel without agreement on that. Further discussion is
> > > pointless.

> > Well, then it is up to you to present an explanation of the long-nosed
> > man, because as I said – and you seem to be tacitly conceding – a
> > ‘late’ appearance by him is not easily made compatible with the
> > hypothesis [and I’m sorry, but it *IS* only a hypothesis, one I do not
> > share] that Horn died and was replaced by him.
> > He’s a big problem for the ‘Horn died in the pit’ theory.

> In some mysterious way you refuse to reveal so that no one can prove you
> wrong.

He *is* an obvious problem.  James previously argued that he was a Neighbour who replaced Horn, and that fits okay with his theory.  But if it can’t be that Neighbour, it must be someone else, and the question is who?  If it was another Neighbour, why did he leave him stuck in the pit to die again?  Why didn’t he say anything?

> > How do you know which Neighbor it was? Why do you assume the Neighbor
> > who resurrected him is no longer also still a non-Horn Neighbor?

I think James is proposing that a Neighbour’s spirit went into him, presumably rendering that particular Neighbour hors de combat.

- Gerry Quinn