(urth) Fwd: Babbiehorn?: Was: a sincere question mostly for roy

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 19 12:54:02 PST 2011

--- On Sat, 11/19/11, James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com> wrote:

From: James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: (urth) Fwd: Babbiehorn?: Was: a sincere question mostly for roy
To: urth at lists.urth.net
Date: Saturday, November 19, 2011, 9:18 AM

On 11/19/2011 10:42 AM, Marc Aramini wrote:
As far as the puppet toy, any chance that toy was really Silk's?
*******

I once had a toy, a little wooden man in a blue coat who was moved by strings. When I played with him, I made him walk and bow, and spoke for him. I practiced until I thought myself very clever. One day I saw my mother holding the two sticks that held his strings, and my little wooden man saluting my youngest sister much more cleverly than I could have made him do it, and laughing with his head thrown back, then mourning with his face in his hands. I never spoke of it to my mother, but I was angry and ashamed.  ~ OBW pg 158

The reference to siblings makes it unlikely that it was Silk. Anyway, wouldn't references to Silk's life undermine the idea that Horn was _in control_  until the end of OBW.

Two brief things: Silver silk is in there already in OBW, that's why errors like calling the kids the wrong names creep in, he just isn't dominant until IGJ.

I was reading shakespeare today and the term huswife came up, and I realized it was just a form of house: I think Babbie is like a spirit house.

Also, your contention that Horn is part neighbor is good, I am just not sure he is fully neighbor and fully human in that way.  He is still spiritually inferior to Silk even after his time in the pit: a self-serving man.  If the neighbor portion of him is there, it has not made him "better" in the way that Silk is good, so I can't quite liken it to the condition of Christ being fully human and fully divine.  I will on my next re-read of Short Sun, probably next year, pay careful attention to hints that he is or is not a neighbor, but I am still sticking with the external neighbor Horn paradigm for now as something distinct from the resurrected Horn, I need to look at the text holistically again. (fasting was a trait of Silk when he was scared of being selfish)