(urth) (no subject)

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 17 13:22:07 PST 2011

>James Wynn: Also, there is the whole (quite intentional) Osiris motif in which Isis
>(Kypris) has to run around gathering parts of the god after he has been murdered.

>Marc Aramini: I agree that the mapping of some myths are to be expected and found,
>my problem with bringing in a bunch of different mythos is that Wolfe couldn't have
>alluded to them all intentionally and still made a good story

>David Stockhoff: I dunno, Marc. Osiris's murder story is a very specific, concrete
>narrative which is plainly retold here up to a point.

I concur. Moreover there is some evidence that Wolfe is intentionally shifting his
allusion from Greco-Roman myth allusion of Urth to the sea neigbor/rival Egyptian mythology
for the Whorl. The two(as far as I know) Greek and Egyptian mythological characters which
share a name are Typhon and Sphinx. And Wolfe has included both in this story.