(urth) Babbiehorn?: Was: a sincere question mostly for roy

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 11:47:51 PST 2011

On 11/17/2011 1:12 PM, Marc Aramini wrote:
> ames, I agree that the mapping of some myths are to be expected and found, my problem with bringing in a bunch of different mythos is that Wolfe couldn't have alluded to them all intentionally and still made a good story that follows his plan without losing his free will to guide the story.

For the record, Panzuzu and Enkidu are not allusions I have drawn. I
only vouch for my own. But Wolfe can reasonably see --drawing a totally
unassociated example-- that Hesphestus's lameness, Jason's missing shoe,
and Cinderella's slipper are connected in some way. So it is not as hard
as one might thing to over-lay the story. Although, some of the
over-lays are really impressive to me.

For example, Pas's name is Greek for All. It is in fact a different
pronunciation of Pan. And Pan is significant for being the only god to
have died in historical time. Pas represents a position as Zeus in a
demonic Greek Olympus--his death and the story maps nicely to the story
of Zeus being bound by the other Olympians and being rescued by Thetis
and Hephaestus ("thetis" is the key used to release the prisoners from
the pit in Viron). And indeed Zeus was worshiped as an underworld god on
Crete and his grave was a shrine. And then there is Osirus. So, yeah,
Wolfe is pretty talented in working all this in.