(urth) Babbiehorn?: Was: a sincere question mostly for roy

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Thu Nov 17 11:43:30 PST 2011

From: David Stockhoff

> > Now, how do you explain how a time travelling one-eyed Rajan looks
> > like a 70+ year old Pike?

> Not that hard. There is a somewhat counterintuitive situation here in
> that (1) Silk at 23 apparently does not look remarkably like old Pike,
> but Silk at 43 does. That does require a little work.

> But anyone whose hair is white at 43 ... I mean, come on. Silk did not
> have time to shake his hand and have a drink with him. He was there for
> a moment.

He looked into “the aged augur’s smiling face” and recognised him as Pike.

He even recognised Pike’s hat.  Why is the Rajan wearing Pike’s hat?

> Why would Wolfe have had the Rajan's hair turn white if he didn't mean
> for him to look like a white-haired man?

Lots of peoples hair turns white.  Silk looked into his face, not at his hair.  In fact, he was wearing a hat.

Did I mention it was Pike’s hat?

One more thing: Silk thought he saw Oreb, and later he thought he saw Pike.  Everyone seems agreed that he can’t have seen both.  Which one did he see *better*?  I vote for the one he saw when the light was on.

- Gerry Quinn