(urth) Babbiehorn?: Was: a sincere question mostly for roy

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 10:30:28 PST 2011

On 11/17/2011 12:14 PM, Lee Berman wrote:
> But multi-limbed Neighbors and parasitic inhumi tracking with trees and liana/vines is
> a connection any Wolfe reader ought to be able to get. Anyone who claims they can't
> is pretending (as David suggests) or playing kabuki theater (as James suggests). Nobody
> who has been here contributing here for a significant length of time could really be that
> dense. Sorry, but anyone continuing to claim they are is lying. We ain't buying the act
> anymore ;- ).

I'm not sure I'd go so far. For example, I think it is obvious that the
Narrator is a Neighbor. But people have read the SS *with my suggetions
in mind* and come away saying "I don't really see that it is necessarily
so". The references to the trees seem obvious to me. The association
fits with the Neighbors as Faeries (which is established by the
designation "Neighbor"). However, people come at these books with
different backgrounds, and different expectations. Ambiguity is a
central feature of Wolfe's works.

Are there people who's analysis and argument methods sometimes don't
seem fair? That they indulge in practices that they scorn in others?
Occasionally. But I don't think even THEY know they are doing it. Some
people are so devoted to seeing themselves a paramountly objective that
they become the least objective of all when considering their own point
of view.