(urth) Babbiehorn?: Was: a sincere question mostly for roy

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Thu Nov 17 09:12:56 PST 2011

From: James Wynn
On 11/17/2011 10:35 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:

> > While I’m far from certain of the theory above (the first one, not the
> > techno-ghost, which would work much better if it happened in Rose’s
> > room, which has a glass), I do ‘own’ it to the extent that I strongly
> > believe it’s correct about Mucor, I think it’s the most reasonable
> > interpretation of Pike so far, and I don’t really know about the bird,
> > but I like the Mucor possession idea. Silk only saw something behind a
> > curtain that looked like a bird flying out the window, then he thought
> > of Oreb. He’d have thought of Oreb if he saw any large bird.

> No. *According to the text* Silk saw *Oreb*. He only doubted himself
> based on the fact that "it made no sense" since Oreb couldn't fly. Then
> he collects a series of other rationalizations.
In the darkness.  In the faint skylight from a curtained window.  But he “saw” him so it must have been Oreb no matter what absurdly contrived explanation we have to make to justify it.  That’s just silly literalism.
He thought it was Oreb, but it wasn’t a big deal to him until he remembered Oreb had a dislocated wing, and his curiosity was piqued.

> If none of your theories explains the second Oreb (or the something that
> looked an awful lot like Oreb flying out the window) then they explain
> nothing.

A bird possessed by Mucor explains it, IMO.  It’s the best I can do at the moment.

Now, how do you explain how a time travelling one-eyed Rajan looks like a 70+ year old Pike?

- Gerry Quinn