(urth) Babbiehorn?: Was: a sincere question mostly for roy

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 08:12:49 PST 2011

> Marc Aramini wrote:
> I don't think a touch is sharing blood.  But being consumed in a maw probably is.  The island made of giant herbs strikes a feeling of forboding in Horn, remember.
>
> Can you prove a touch is sufficient to share blood?  Remember their handshake is a deal that the neighbors can return (ie - share blood with more humans in my interpretation, a bit sinister, at worst being eaten, at best being used as a genetic template)

I don't think I can "prove" that touch is sufficient, but we can safely
assume that it does require being eaten (actually "change blood" is the
term He-Pen-Sheep and She-Pick-Berries used). Between two corporeal
beings it is merely what the Lone Ranger and Tonto do to become "blood
brothers". He-Pen-Sheep does it with the shearbear.  But He-Pen-Sheep's
son has changed blood with the Neighbors and it did not involved him dying:

************
I indicated the wilderness of sand and scrub through which we had walked
for most of the day. "Are there many Neighbors down there?"
Without looking up from her sewing, she nodded emphatically. "Many
Neighbor. Many fire."
Her son displayed both palms. "No kill Neighbor."
His father laughed again. "He no kill. Change blood Neighbor," to which
he added what seemed to be several sentences in a tongue that I had
never heard before.
"Neighbor kill you?" I suggested.
He shook his head. "Kill inhumu."

Incidentally...those fires the Neighbors light to kill inhumi? They're
burning lianas.
Just my opinion.