(urth) Babbiehorn?: Was: a sincere question mostly for roy

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Wed Nov 16 10:43:48 PST 2011

Marc Aramini wrote:
>I am very very confident the majority of Horn goes into Babbie when he says
farewell, and it explains Babbie's huh huh huh and behavior when he see's
Horn's son on Rttw, throwing down the guy who attacks him.<

I wrote the following last January but decided not to send it. I do so now,
unchanged, because the subject has come up again.

-------------------

Marc, you have repeated several times why you think the Horn in Silkhorn
somehow was removed and sent into Babbie at the end of OBW, and why Babbie's
manifestation in spirit travel makes you think Horn's spirit is in him; the
tusks you call horns, being protective of Hoof, etc. We've argued that in
the past, so I won't address that now. But there are other issues that must
follow from that premise.

First of all, Babbie's spirit-travel body looks generally like a man's body,
but not quite. His hands aren't really hands; his hands have only two big
fingers, suggestive of his normal cloven hooves (RTTW, 354). And he wears
glasses (346). Yet the spirit-traveler's body is supposed to be a
manifestation of how that person perceives himself to be at his core, in his
heart, if you will. Horn never wore glasses.

Babbie returned to Mucor weeks after the incident at the Nadi at the end of
OBW. Mucor contacted Silkhorn and asked him if he "still wanted" Babbie
(IGJ, 280). Silk himself had never so much as laid eyes on Babbie and knew
of Babbie only by way of the Horn in Silkhorn. Babbie finally came to
Silkhorn weeks later in Dorp.

At the end of RTTW, after Remora's exorcism, Silk abandoned Babbie and
eventually returned to the LSW. Babbie returned to the woods on Main (per
Hoof) or to Mucor (per Vadsig, 345). Either way, why didn't he hang around
New Viron to look after Horn's sons? What did Remora's exorcism accomplish,
if not to knock the Horn out of Silkhorn?

-Roy