(urth) Babbiehorn?: Was: a sincere question mostly for roy

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 09:19:14 PST 2011

> On 11/16/2011 11:36 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
>> This is a completely different situation. In your examples we have
>> Wolfe putting in obvious anomalies that need clearing up. In the
>> examples I’m talking about, the anomalies are absent where, if a
>> (generally unlikely) theory were valid, they would be expected to be
>> present.
>
> David Stockhoff wrote:
> I have tried to show that this is not the case at all. At least not in
> terms of Mucor's weight. whatever that means in an astral body.
> What reason did present-Mucor have to be there?

I me too, although nothing I says seems to "stick".

The point is that we are led step-by-step to the most likely conclusion:

1) Oreb is there and flies. Oreb at this point in the story cannot fly.
Therefore this is "another" Oreb.  Since there is no other night chough
in the story and no evidence that Oreb has powers like Mucors, a
temporal discrepancy is an obvious option, and fortunately...

2) The Rajan's presence in the grandmother's tale, combined with the
screwy time-line in SS indicates that dream-travel can include Time-travel.

3)  Later we see "Pike's ghost" but his demeanor and his manner of
disappearance indicates that this in not a Gothic ghost. The Rajan's
ability to Time-travel makes him simply, by far, the most likely
candidate and explains the existence of the second Oreb.

4) At the same time we have Mucor there who disappears in a manner that
is different from the way she does at other times when she is travelling
astrally. Instead, she disappears as "Pike's ghosts" does.  Proximity,
time, and circumstance indicate that she and Pike's ghost are traveling
together.

5) Now, the Rajan might well have collected the contemporaneous Mucor at
Blood's house and traveled to Silk's with her, but how does that fit
into the story anywhere else? However, we have an opening in the
narrative regarding what happens during Mucor's mission from Blue to
find Silk. We also have Silk's strange admonition about the danger of
coming to where he is (there was no danger for Silk and Hyacinth as we
eventually learn).  Also, Mucor's uncharacteristic look of concern for
Horn when she delivers the message.  Tying this scene with the Pike's
Ghost scene ultimately explains much.