(urth) Violet = Plutonium?

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sun Nov 13 09:21:06 PST 2011

I've searched Moonmilk on this with no result. Has there been any
discussion of why Sand twice calls Violet "Plutonium"?

Note that Violet is suspected to be a (native Vironese) Trivigaunti spy.
Also, Sand has at this point been killed and resurrected. So it's hard
to guess whether he is malfunctioning or has been enlightened in some
way---whether he correctly or incorrectly sees Violet as a chem---or
something else. (Or maybe he has acquired a chem sense of humor.
Plutonium fluoride forms violet crystals.)

What bothers me is that Siyuf herself later appears as a chem double. Up
to that point, the reader has no particular idea that chems can actually
fake being human, to the point that the Ayuntamiento decides to send the
fake Siyuf home in her place---and apparently succeeds though their plan
fails.

It's one thing if Orchid hired a chem to pleasure chem guests the way a
brothel might hire boys and girls for different tastes (although
apparently she did not hire boys). But how could Siyuf have not been
able to tell, and if she could, would she have been "into it"? Where did
these crypto-chems come from, and what do they mean? Are there others?
Do they need brain scans of humans to give them the self-identity to act
as doubles?

Chems, or at least soldiers, are unknown in Trivigaunti. So perhaps
Siyuf just doesn't know what to look for, or she enjoys the novelty. Is
Wolfe just covering his butt, showing us that the chem Siyuf would have
been able to pass the Minister of War's, er, personal Turing test (she
being her lover)?

Or does he simply insist that the soul is more important than the body,
always? Am I suffering from robot racism to even raise these questions? :D