(urth) Hunter of the East

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Sun Nov 13 03:44:27 PST 2011

From: James Wynn
On 11/12/2011 8:22 PM, David Stockhoff wrote:

> > Now you claim illiteracy as an advantage of your argument? I suppose
> > you have no choice. But at least we agree that the sun is not yet
> > risen, but rather implied. Its rising is imminent.

> And *that* is the true common thread between Gerry's criticism of
> Wolfe's works and this one.
Answered in my previous post.  The rising Sun *is* in a real sense visible in the poem.  Unlike Orion.

> And of course *Gerry's* argument is based on the text, not metaphor or

> conclusive leaps even though the sun is never named in the poem. So a
> fundamental lack of self-awareness is also a common thread here.
When have I ever objected to metaphor?  What I look for, though, are metaphors that are actually present, like the noose of light, which is self-evidently thrown by the Sun.

> However, *Morning* is named. Morning throws the stone at the stars. Why
> is not Morning the hunter? Why is the hunter not Eos?

Eos is not such a terrible interpretation.  Unlike Orion, I think a reasonable case could be made.  Nevertheless, the Sun imagery seems much stronger.  If Fitzgerald had written, say, “bright fingers grasp the turret”, I’d go with Eos.  But he’s making up his own metaphor, and it’s a better one IMO.
- Gerry Quinn