(urth) vanished people=Hieros

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Thu Nov 10 10:20:19 PST 2011

From: James Wynn

  > >   What if Blue is Verthandi and it has over time moved to a more distant
  > > orbit?

  > Gerry Quinn wrote:
  > Not that I believe a word of this, but why is everyone talking about Verthandi?  If Blue is somehow a > planet of the Solar System it surely has to be Skuld.  The surface gravity of Verthandi is only a third of > Urth’s, and somebody would have noticed.

> Why? The wakers had never been on Urth. The sleepers arrived at Blue
> only via the Whorl and then a weightless voyage to on a lander. You would
> have to affirm that the gravity for the Cargo on the Whorl was the same as
>  that on Urth. There is no evidence either way.

There is evidence.  Mamelta, for one, would have noticed.

Anyway, I wasn’t even thinking about the Whorl, but about those who travelled from Blue to Green.  Nobody noticed a difference in the gravity.

> Not at all.  Moving Skuld's orbit to outside of Urth's would be problematic in the extreme.

Moving either planet would be problematic in the extreme.  But planets could be made to pass without a collision so long as sufficient energy was available.

- Gerry Quinn