(urth) vanished people=Hieros

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 09:18:53 PST 2011

>> James Wynn<crushtv at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>> Question: Wouldn't the Green Urth theory be easier if Green
>> were in Urth's very distant past? That would argue that the
>> Dionysus references are a clue to how the myth got there in
>> the first place?*~  I understand that you want the City
>> of the Inhumi to be Nessus but the clues are not
>> overwhelming. Perhaps the Rajan's seeming parallel
>> description of the city and Nessus was only an implied
>> connection because they are both cities on the same planet
>> or coincidentally at the same place.
>>
>> *~ A Greek mythographer (I don't remember which one)
>> attested that although Dionysus as the "newest" of the
>> Olympians, he was actually much older...maybe the oldest of
>> the gods.
>>
>> J.
> Marc Aramini wrote:
> My only concern here is: why the past?  How did they get there if they left at Typhon's time?

They got there with the help of the Neighbors. They got there with the
help of the Heirogrammates. Any number of ways, intentional and
unintentional.

>    Obviously with time travel there could be past or present, but why would the past be any easier than the future?

Well, personally, I think the hybridization of the sentient and
non-sentient life (if true) is referred to only in the the vaguest
possible terms. In order to overcome just ONE of the major obstacles in
the Green Urth theory, I have to accept the Hybrid theory whole.
Strategically, I'd like a little more wiggle room. I'd like to be able
to consider the Green Urth theory separate from the Hybird theory.
Putting the Neighbors and Inhumi in the distant past allows that.

Q: "Where are the Neighbors in Severian's time?"