(urth) (no subject)

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 9 19:15:14 PST 2011

>Marc Aramini: My problem with all this is that Blue is colder than Urth is

>colder than Green - that city under the water is a MacGuffin, we are meant

>to look at it and try to find a way to map Urth onto it.

Well, I'm really not trying to knock you off your game nor knock you onto

mine. But in explanation of my own view I'm tempted to write: "No, no no!

Blue is USHAS". Not Urth. (sigh I never was good at resisting temptation.

Ushas is Urth reborn. It should be considered as a new planet, not a rehash

or continuation of the old one. (no "Urth/Ushas" hedging allowed either).

Blue is Ushas. (in my view).

>I don't see Blue as Ushas.  It's the coldest of the three (two) worlds.

>It's something else.

I see this as a rather quirky argument, given your personal leanings, Marc.

Is temperature really what we are meant to see as the important factor? I

don't think this is so. While Wolfe was inspired by The Dying Earth, I don't

think he meant to rewite it, with scientific concerns being the rock hard basis

for reality. I truly think WOlfe means to tie the geological/astronomical

concerns to spirituality in this book. Salvation, even if it involves a white

fountain in a black hole, is tied to choosing the right path, the right allies

the right leader and following the plan of God/Increate.

I'm sure WOlfe was aware in writing BotNS that Flood myths were probably born

from the real world death throes of the last ice age. But I have trouble believing

Wolfe thinks that's ALL the Flood was. NOthing to do with God. Just a geologic

event with no Biblical or other religious significance.

And if Gene Wolfe finds spiritual signifance to earth's Flood, I think he must feel

the same about Urth's flood and Blue's flood. MacGuffin? Nooooooooooo!

In my view, Severian's flooding of the Vincula presages the flooding of Urth. And

thus, just as surely, SilkHorn's flooding of the sewer presages a flood, or at least

points to the need for one, on Green.

If we are thinking of humanity, yes, Urth is too cold. But isn't Green too hot?

Aren't Ushas and Blue just right?