(urth) vanished people=Hieros

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Nov 9 11:55:52 PST 2011

On 11/9/2011 2:37 PM, Marc Aramini wrote:
> Sure, resonance, but to me, a personal friend of Wolfe, for Green not to really be Urth, Gene had to be making a terrible joke on Christmas to a fan who pretty much worships him.
>
> So, no matter what, for me, Green is always going to be Urth and Gene is always going to be my friend.  Maybe I can't prove it, but the resonance with Nessus, the mechanism, and his words to me make it as concrete as it can possibly be, so ... what does the mere resonance do if the reality tells us the entire future of Urth?  What does that resonance do that the reality doesn't?  What's the point?

I think Jeff spelled out one possible explanation, which is that Green
is to Urth as Urth is to us. That is, back a cycle or two, Urth is our
future---one possible future that we will probably not see---and back a
cycle or two before that, Long/Short Sun is Urth's future---again, one
possible future that Ushas may not see. This cycle seems to incorporate
Mars as a twin of Green (with no Lune) and the 6-limbed Neighbors. Sev's
cycle has a Mars and a Lune, as does ours. These differences between
cycles are huge from a nonhumancentric perspective, and yet the story
goes on as though they are not important at all (much like the
resemblance to South America). Nessus is one physical thing that seems
to connect them.

It boggles my mind that anyone would want to tell a story this way, but
Jeff's point is accurate---it excuses the disjointedness. This Nessus on
Green may not actually be the Nessus we know, but it must be "a" Nessus.

When I had first read SS, this theory drove me crazy. Why would Typhon
have sent the Whorl to Urth? Well, he didn't, obviously---Pas did. And
that means Tartarus and the Outsider did. (Oho, aha.)

Now, after having read all the debate over astral projection, this
Return to Urth seems a far lesser problem than everything else.