(urth) vanished people=Hieros

Nick Lee starwaterstrain at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 19:51:31 PST 2011

António Pedro Marques:

> More than once Wolfe has professed to collect ideas and names to use in his
> work, with no necessary deep connection to their previous meanings.
> (In fact, much of his work is doing new things with old stuff; the fact is
> that he doesn't invent his materials, it's the use that is novel.)

He's said this, yes. Such deep connections exist, however, and some
are intended: Catherine, for example.

I have wondered if Kim Lee Soong is just a random Korean name or if it
is a corruption of Kim Il-sung, president of North Korea. The name
means "become the sun," and he indirectly had a major effect on
Wolfe's life after all. He's admitted to typos, and he might not have
been sure of the spelling.

On the other hand, I've never been able to decide what "Severian" is a
reference to. It could be the germanic tribe or a gnostic sect or a
bishop or a Roman leader. Or maybe he just thought it sounded cool.