(urth) vanished people=Hieros

Jeff Wilson jwilson at clueland.com
Mon Nov 7 08:51:19 PST 2011

On 11/7/2011 10:29 AM, Lee Berman wrote:

>> David Stockhoff: Why would a white Lune be Green?
>
> I dunno. But it might be meant to represent our moon.
> I consider that as part of the evidence that Yesod is
> our universe though overall I don't consider that to be a
> very firm conclusion.
>
>> Gerry Quinn: As for the Green Man, if he has shape changing
>> abilities they are fairly limited, as reading the section in
>> which Severian first encounters him will make obvious.
>
> I have trouble believing that a being capable of transporting
> his body through space and time cannot, in the process, transport
> his ankle through a metal shackle.

If they stop Severian, why not the Green Man?

*everything* in the books that is present in Urth's physical plane
before or after entering higher dimensions and/or transcending time is
shown moving physically as part of the process. The Green Man runs back
into his future as Aquastor Malrubius' ship approaches from a similar
distance in that same un-Urthly direction. Inire's mirrors open portals
but people and cats have to step or be flung through. Juturna extends
her arms in these directions, just as the Brook Magregot's water flows
through a channel, and Sev walks beside the channel. FB&O's saucer lifts
as it departs. And of course, The Ship infamously sails past galaxies as
it retreats in time.

Oh, and Apheta's portal is set up to MAKE people move forward so they
cannot stop from going through. Why all this is, only Wolfe knows;
perhaps he's a big Zelazny fan.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at clueland.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >