(urth) Pike/Oreb

Andrew Mason andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 5 15:41:57 PDT 2011

James Wynn wrote:

Jerry Friedman:

>> The other is that giving the Commonwealth the same practice of thawing embryos as the /Whorl/, without any mention, doesn't strike me as a simple addition to BotNS.
>
> Well, the Commonwealth *does* commonly thaw embryos. Remora mentions all
> the animals. Blood thaws a human one one. Tussah too. It is common
> enough that the elite of Viron rightfully guess that Tussah procured one.

That's the Whorl. Jerry's worry was about the Commonwealth (on Urth).
I agree it's a worry. We know - as you say, we are told repeatedly -
that there is a store of embryos on the Whorl, though we don't know
that they are clones. On Urth, by contrast, we know that there are
clones, but the ones we're told about are all contemporary clones;
there's no suggestion of a store of embryos.