(urth) This week in Google alerts

Jeff Wilson jwilson at clueland.com
Fri Nov 4 19:55:51 PDT 2011

On 11/4/2011 2:11 PM, Sergei SOLOVIEV wrote:
> To me (IMHO) Gerry's inference looks much more convincing and closer to
> the text,
> let's be fair. "Silver screen" is (or at least was in 70-es) a commonplace
> speaking about the television. Moreover, the cathode ray tubes (when
> television used them)
> contained silver

In American English usage, the silver screen is the large one on which
motion pictures are projected, and it has been since before the
invention of television. The motion picture screen also contained silver
(later replaced by aluminum) as well as having a visibly silvery
appearance, unlike the visible portions of CRTs.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at clueland.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >