(urth) This week in Google alerts

Andrew Mason andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 4 16:09:05 PDT 2011

Marc Aramini wrote: >
> "Planned indepedently" - what does Andrew mean here?? It was planned after New Sun, but he clearly from the very beginning wanted it to be in the same universe.? Pas as Typhon is not a late addition to the text, it's written in from the very very beginning.? He didn't add those connections in in second draft.

I can't trace it now, but I'm sure there is a Wolfe interview, which
has been discussed here, which says that it was while he was already
working on _Long Sun_ that he realised it had to be about Typhon and
his family. I don't think we can tell, from the finished work, what
the original plan was; any changes he made would have affected the
whole story. After all, the original germ from which _New syn_
developed, 'The Feast of St Katharine', didn't have a new sun in it.