(urth) This week in Google alerts

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 4 13:27:30 PDT 2011

--- On Fri, 11/4/11, Sergei SOLOVIEV <soloviev at irit.fr> wrote:

> From: Sergei SOLOVIEV <soloviev at irit.fr>
> Subject: Re: (urth) This week  in Google alerts
> Date: Friday, November 4, 2011, 12:40 PM
> It means (IMHO) that in a good book
> (and in its interpretation) there is an hierarchy of ideas.
> If all are equally genial they cancel each other, and
> overall impression is poor. To me,
> if you try to turn every detail into the key to all
> secrets, it is exactly what will happen.
> There are details that help to create certain background
> feeling (level of technology,
> type of society, psychology of characters), there are
> others that explain for example
> the relations between personages and important turns of the
> plot (like real relationship
> between Talos and Baldanders) and indeed others that may be
> key to principal ideas
> of the author. I think sceptic reaction to many theories is
> healthy - every detail
> cannot be principal.
>
> Sergei

Sergei, if we deny the underpinnings of the foliage in this sequence and its thematic relevance and believe an allusion to a god of the wood is acccidental, then we are really missing the boat completely and attributing to accident which is simply a pattern of Wolfe.

uncategorically.  I see the central theme of deities of the wood very differently than Lee does but it's there for sure.