(urth) Hyacinth

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 3 12:44:38 PDT 2011

>James Wynn: Incidentally, what she says of her father is that he was
>"a pig's arse". If one sees The Long Sun/Short Sun as a single novel (as I
>do), this can't help but to recall Pig and his relationship to the original
>Silk (recognized but still not nailed down). The name and the term might be
>coincidental. Still, "pig's arse" is not a typical insult. Usually it is
>"horse's arse". Leaving open the possibility that Hyacinth or Wolfe is
>relaying something other than what was understood on the initial reading.

Hm.. It might be a stretch to think that Wolfe has his minor godling character
from RttW in mind when he was creating Hyacinth's character. But not an
impossible stretch. I am struck by the use of the word "arse". American english
would actually more commonly use the term "horse's ass". Does Pig speak in some
sort of British accent. I don't have my book but I think maybe he does?

Is there any way the "pig's arse" comment could link more immediately to Phaea?
With Pig being a godling and Phaea being a pig-associated god of the Whorl it
almost cries out that there be a connection. The Tartaros connection is there
also, of course, but if we must choose one (which might not be necessary) the
pig connection seems stronger to me. Names, names names rule the Sun series imho.