(urth) Pike's ghost

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 30 05:36:08 PST 2011

>Jerry Friedman: Just disagreeing with Lee's comment that the word "mandragora"
>could only point to Typhon.  I don't think any of these word games /necessarily/
>point to one thing.  You can always find connections to others.  Of course, you
>and Lee and others may have reasons for preferring one connection.

You miscontrue my point, Jerry. In fact I don't think "mandragora" can only refer
to Typhon. I completely think the references to mandrake and occultism and even
satanism are there and intentional. My history of posts reflects that. But I do not
ignore that Typhon is also associated with Satan.

I think Wolfe writes in this manner- using a constellation of associated ideas with
internal story connections to convey his message. My assertion is that "mandragora"
must (in my view) refer to Typhon, not that it may *only* (for all readers) refer
to Typhon.

I think the mandragora is part of a constellation of story elements which help direct
how Wolfe wants us to think of Typhon through the arc of the 12 book Sun Series- that
being as a superhumanly gifted, demonic tyrant-deity who sows the seeds of his own
destruction when he devotes his efforts to self-indulgence but who has the capacity
to become a benign, demiurgical Creator when his efforts are so directed. This, of
course, is a parallel to certain lines of gnostic religious philosophy regarding God,
Devil and creation.

>Oddly enough, it doesn't take me to those questions at all.

I get the impression you are offended by suggestions that the story takes a reader
anywhere, specifically (even S. America ;- )). But if you do have a sense of where
WOlfe's writing takes you, which you have not previously revealed, I am interested in
hearing about it.