(urth) Pike's ghost

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 29 18:09:13 PST 2011

--- On Tue, 11/29/11, Marc Aramini <marcaramini at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am almost certain the reason for the conclusion of Short
> Sun being the sacrifice of the eye (in flash back anyway) is
> simply that THAT is the moment when Silk is
> "saved"/rebooted.  He pretty much left the
> building/lost his will to live when Hy died, and that reboot
> is an integral way to the manner I read the text: most of
> the Rajan post OBW is, in my opinion, dominated by the
> Silver Silk personality that rode in Pig.  I guess I
> could be wrong, but I think that is key to Silk's
> reconstitution, re-enacting the reconstitution of Pas.

I also wanted to add very breifly that I think Gene has mastered the understated conclusions that don't feel like conclusions: saving Silk at the end of RttW is involved in that flash of colors that, once Pig has his eye, can be used to transfer Silk back to his own body, out from his own plucked out eye and back in through the whole one: this is the point where search for Silk "ended" - the rest was just tying it up, Horn saying his goodbyes, and Silk (and whatever else is in there with him that grants him special qualities) taking up Horn's quest home mistakenly.
{I argue that the other conclusion is symbolic: the text of the sprouting Hyacinth shows the fate of man, though crushed under the shepherd's heel.  But that is unrelated to the Pig - eyed true conclusion.}