(urth) Pike's ghost

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 29 13:02:36 PST 2011

>> If a random someone has grown a fetus from a plant root for no apparent reason, I
>> can't see that as a more interesting interpretation than one which explains
>> who created that fetus and for what purpose.

> Okay.  I can't see yours as an interesting interpretation.  That's a matter of taste.

>David Stockhoff: .....except that the whole cloning/in
>vivo/possession/scanning trope was plainly already in Wolfe's mind, and
>as such maybe the LS/SS arcs as well. Typhon is a major connection
>between Severian in the Citadel and the embryonic Silk in the Whorl. So
>it stands to reason that Typhon created it as a failed experiment on the
>way to devising his colonization strategies, but it's not a critical
>plot point.

It is a matter of taste. It also is a constrast between viewing Wolfe's work as a series
of isolated incident or carrying a thread of connection as David illustrates. You may take
a reference to a mandragora and choose a Biblical connection to Rachel and exclude the
possibility that it refers to cloning and a mythological man-dragon.

It's just that cloning and Typhon are intensely important themes which Wolfe has developed
in work previous to and post-BotNS. If your preference is to ignore that, and focus on
an isolated reference to Rachel I am not going to argue that you are "wrong". But I see no
reason to denounce my preference for seeing multiple internal connections across Wolfe's work.